A bone fragment, simply

 

In that first splendour

a poem is simple 

it could be about food 

it could be about the sky

it could be about two nations

It could be about two fertilized eggs divided decades apart

                                                but I digress

it could be about you

                                fingers ink the dark map of the world and we pencil in the rain

   

A poem is simple

it could be about disappearance

it could be about grief

it could be about remembering

it could be about death and birthing

                                                but I digress

it could be about you

                              sentences river as long as the curve of your index finger 

 

A poem is simple

it could be about entering the world through violence 

it could be about exiting language with reluctance

it could be about living between offer and relinquishment

                                                but I digress

it could be about you

                               the bitten smile of the sky’s dark morning eyes made slender by touch

 

This poem is simple

It surrenders over bright things in the distance

its heart tumbles down the ridge of a canyon

its promises dampen as the trunk’s cambium

but I digress from this stammering cacophony

the rhyme between our backs breaking into kiss on a bus

the essence goes unnoticed

                                                in fact

                              stretching in the morning toward the green hills tongued by fox and fog

 

in that first splendour and finesse

the world within the world

the joinery and the suppression

the accuracy of suspicion in a word's fineness

and all came clacking

and the poem unravelled and disseminated

the seminal and the semen in the poem

was you